- duration 6 days
- tour type Private
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Duration: 6 Days trekking; 4 and a half days ascending, 1 and a half days descending.
- Length: 100 km/62 mi total; 62 km/38 mi to summit; 38 km/24 mi descend from summit
The Machame Route is a beautiful route up Kilimanjaro that allows you to experience the southwest and south sides of the mountain, since you go up one way and down another. All your equipment and supplies are carried by porters and a cook prepares all your meals. Unlike the Marangu Route where you sleep in huts, on the Machame you sleep in tents (tents are included), and the porters will pitch your tent for you. Meals are served in a dinner tent or on blanket outside. This makes the machame, which is referred to as the "Whiskey Route", better suited to more adventurous hikers, and it is also rewards you with better views than the Marangu Route. From Late afternoon sunsets at Shira, to the misty revelations of Kibo's great Barrance Wall, the Machame Route offers the spunky hiker a continous scenic slide show. The Machame route is normally completed in 6 days, and this greatly helps your acclimatization. The Machame Route takes you high to Lava Tower (4,630 m/15,190 ft) on day 3 then brings you down for an overnight at Barranco Camp (3,950 m/12,960 ft). This intermediate ascent and descent is the secret to a successful acclimatization, and is the reason that this route has a high success rate.
We recommend you to bring gears like; smaller personal backpack, thick hiking socks, windproof/waterproof pants and jacket, heavy gloves, heavy winter jacket, water bottles, gaiters (covers top of boots and bottom of pants), hiking boots, larger backpack for clothes, cold weather sleeping bags, safari style hat protecting face and neck from sun, headlamp style flashlight, camera of course, dried fruit and energy bars, sun block, malaria pills, water purification tablets, inflatable pillows, your regular clothes.
Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira Camp
Day 3: Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
Day 5: Summit Day! Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak to Mweka Camp
Day 6: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi/Arusha
- Transport to and from mountain gates.
- Entry fees and All camping fees
- Rescue fees.
- All accommodations on the mountain based on three meals a day
- Cook and all kitchen utensils
- Guide and porters salaries.
- Accommodation on the first night upon your arrival before climb and on the last day after climb (book with us)
- Tips, drinks and all items of personal
- Sleeping bags but we can provide for hire on request
- All Mountain Gears (we can arrange hire of this)
- Airport transfers (book with us)
- Earn US$ 71+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
10% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationNote: We do not place groups together. This way you are ensured the full attention of our guide, but with the added knowledge of our guides’ experiences. It also means that we can start the climb on the day you prefer.