- Exploring the unique countryside with its mysterious woods, wide glacier valleys and limestone rock formations, including the famous Picu Urriellu
- Staying at friendly, family run hotels in authentic Spanish villages
- Sampling delicious Cabrales blue cheese, sparkling Asturian apple cider and regional specialities
Discover the soaring limestone peaks, wildlife and lush valleys of Spain's Picos de Europa National Park. Rising from the ocean, the Picos de Europa is one of the most striking mountain ranges on the Iberian Peninsula. Just 40km long and 20km wide, the jagged limestone peaks rise to 2600m and contrast sharply with the lush valleys dotted with small hamlets far below. Rich in wildlife such as chamois, hedgehogs and wild boar and an abundance of wildflowers, the national park is a delight. Perhaps the most striking feature of the Picos is the deep gorges and rivers which divide the range into three distinct massifs. The focus of this walk is between the central massif (Macizo Central), home to the highest peak Torre de Cerredo (2648m) and the eastern massif (Macizo Oriental). Highlights include walking in the wide glacier valleys overlooked by the limestone peaks, the authentic villages and the ascent to the base of Naranjo de Bulnes' west face, considered to be the signature peak of the region. At night stay in small family run hotels in Arenas and Sotres with opportunities to sample local specialties such as the famous blue cheese, Queso de Cabrales.
Day 1 : Arrive Arenas de Cabrales
Day 2 : Walk to the summer meadows of Nava above the Cares River (5.5 or 4hrs)
Day 3 : Transfer to Tielve and walk through beech forests to Sotres (4hrs)
Day 4 : Walk the eastern massif of the Picos (5.5 or 8.5hrs)
Day 5 : Choice of walks near Sotres (2.5 or 6.5hrs)
Day 6 : Ascend to the foot of the west face of Naranjo de Bulnes (5.5hrs)
Day 7 : Descend to Bulnes and walk through gorges, return to Arenas (5hrs)
Day 8 : Trip concludes
- 6 nights in 2-3 star hotels on a twin share basis, 1 night in a mountain hut (or extra night in hotel - small supplement applies)
- 7 breakfasts, 5 dinners. Included dinners are usually a set menu. Water and wine are always included (up to ‘normal’ consumption of 1 bottle for every 3-4 persons); please remember that you must pay for any extras (other drinks, extra wine and coffee or tea) when you leave. Breakfast is generally served between 8.30 and 10.00am. It normally includes coffee, tea, milk or hot chocolate, bread and/or toast, cake, butter, marmalade and cheese or ham. Please note in Spain dinners are generally served between 8.30pm – 10.00pm
- Transfers as described
- Luggage transfers Arenas-Sotres-Arenas - max one piece, max weight 20kgs (supplements apply to excess luggage) *note on day 6 you need to carry your overnight requirements including a sleeping sheet to stay at the mountain refuge
- Information pack including route notes & maps per room booked (GPS Tracks available on request)
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to and from Arenas de Cabrales
- Meals not listed as included, drinks
- Travel insurance
- Entrance Fees
- Guide – this is a self-guided walking holiday
- A supplement will apply if you are travelling solo or book a single room
- Storage of luggage & excess luggage
- Transfers not listed as included
- Optional funicular ticket from Bulnes to Poncebos on day 7 (allow EUR20 pp)
- Bus from Poncebos to Arenas on day 7 (allow EUR2 pp - or a transfer is included only when there are no bus services)
- Items of a personal nature
- Earn US$ 31+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Walking in the Picos de Europa tour. You can cancel the tour up to 72 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 71 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 07 May 2024, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 07 May 2024, a deposit of 190 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 71 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Walking in the Picos de Europa tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Walking in the Picos de Europa tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Rigorous hygiene safety measures will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated atleast 14 days prior to departure.