- Enjoy a traditional Dutch meal
- Help the host in preparing the food and learn how to make Dutch dishes in the process
- Meet and interact with locals
This tour is a part of the Urban Adventures Home Cooked series and aims to give you one of the richest travelling experiences you can ever have — the opportunity to enjoy a meal in a local home.
The aim is for you to experience life exactly how it is. This experience will be no different than a local having dinner with any of their friends or relatives. It is the chance to hang out in the kitchen (customs and space willing) and chat about your life and theirs, the affairs of the day that are impacting and bringing joy into their home, and to feel for a few hours just how the locals really live.
You will be met at the meeting point by your host, at which point they will take you shopping in their neighbourhood before going to their home to cook and eat.
On arrival, if you want to help out chopping up some of the produce or you are particularly interested in the recipe behind this local meal, we invite you to participate as much or as little as you like.
When the food is ready you will all sit down together and share the meal prepared, enjoy the conversation, perhaps look at each other’s photographs and maybe take some more together.
This experience is real. Our hosts come from all walks of life. Some are probably very similar to you and some are from poor or rural backgrounds. We encourage you to check out the photos here to make sure your expectations are correctly set about who you will be sharing a meal with and where they live. The beauty is that everyone involved in our Home Cooked Series is a wonderful person who wants to meet travellers and share this experience with them.
- Dinner in a local home with a local host.
- Some hosts might provide tea or soft drink or even alcohol with meals as per the local custom. it should not be expected and does not form part of the base home cooked experience. we recommend you bring drinking water with you for the duration of this experience. if you elect to catch a taxi back to your accommodation after the experience this is at your own expense. no gratuity is included.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge so long as they eat from their parents' meals. Please note that a special, separate meal will not be prepared for them. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.