- Walking tour
- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 14+ yrs
- max group size 17
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
Take a journey through one of Africa's least explored countries - a true blend of natural wonders and ancient history. A visit to the dramatic, arid landscapes of the Danakil Depression kicks-off an adventurous fortnight of discovery, including Lalibela's rock-hewn churches and the rugged Simien Mountains. Lalibela - Explore the ancient monolithic churches that have been so well preserved in this valley-hidden town Simien Mountains - Walk through the spectacular mountain scenery, home to the gelada monkey Dallol - See the unique geology of this acidic volcano's brightly coloured springs and geysirs Timkat Festival - Visit Ethiopia during one of the holiest times in the Orthodox calendar
The Ethiopian people don't have a lot of material things but what they have they are willing to share. It was a real eye opener and is making me re-think how I live. I'm really glad I went there.”
Day 1 : Join trip in Addis Adaba and spend the afternoon visiting the city's highlights
Day 2 : A guided visit to Unity Park in Addis before flying to Mekele in the country's historic north
Day 3 : Explore the other-worldly landscapes of the Danakil Depression
Day 4 : Drive to Axum, along the way visit historic Negash Mosque and Ethiopia's oldest archaeological site, The Great Temple of Yeha
Day 5 : Discover Axum with a local guide, including the ancient obelisks and St Mary of Zion
Day 6 : Drive through the mountainous Tekeze Valley to Debark, the gateway to the Simien Mountains
Day 7 : Walk in the awe-inspiring Simien Mountain National Park and search for gelada monkey grazing on the plateau
Day 8 : Drive to Gondar and explore the medieval castles and holy baths
Day 9 : A free morning to relax before an afternoon drive to the lakeside town of Bahir Dar
Day 10 : See the lake come to life on an optional sunrise boat trip, followed by a walk to Blue Nile Falls
Day 11 : Cruise out across Lake Tana to Zeghie Peninsular visit 13th century Bet Maryam
Day 12 : Take a morning flight to Lalibela, ready to spend an afternoon exploring the ancient rock-hewn churches
Day 13 : Meet the resident monks and take in the panoramic views from sacred Asheton Maryam Church
Day 14 : Fly from Lalibela to Addis Ababa where the trip ends
- Jupiter International Hotel - Bole (1 night)
- Axum Hotel (2 nights)
- Yared Zema Hotel (2 nights)
- Simien Park Hotel (2 nights)
- Goha Hotel (1 night)
- Tana Hotel (3 nights)
- Mountain View Hotel (2 nights)
- 13 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- Explore Tour Leader
- Boat Crew
- Local Guide(s)
- Any international flights to/from Addis Ababa are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Highlights of Ethiopia tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 194 today.
- Earn US$ 129+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Highlights of Ethiopia tour. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 59 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 24 December 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 24 December 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 59 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Highlights of Ethiopia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Highlights of Ethiopia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- The average size of this tour is just 12 people.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Various COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this trip to ensure the safety of each traveller.
- This tour has implemented COVID-19 protocols that are guided by the WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council), UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation), the European Commission and local government regulations. It amongst others take into account personal protection, extensive disinfecting and social distancing measures.