- duration 17 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Trek the spectacular Simien Mountain escarpments
- Spot unique wildlife such as the Walia Ibex and Gelada Baboon
- Soak up the views from the summit of Ras Dashen (4533m)
- Discover the medieval castles in the Royal Enclosure in Gondar
Combined with the rich culture and history of Ethiopia, trekking in the Simien Mountains will take your breath away with its stunning scenery and dramatic escarpments. Ethiopia has a fascinating history and is home to many unknown treasures and dramatic landscapes. The Simien Mountains of Ethiopia offer superb wilderness trekking with stunning scenery, enormous cliffs and escarpments and the chance to spot unique wildlife such as the Walia Ibex and Gelada Baboon. On our specially designed itinerary we steadily ascend the escarpment trails to the upper flanks of the Simien Mountains. Establishing our campsites on the volcanic plateau our sense of isolation is complete. The thin cool air is punctuated with the calls of rare wildlife, while below the forested gorges merge with the undulating farming lands that stretch across the vast catchment of the Blue Nile. We combine this exceptional trek with a journey across a land dotted with rock-hewn churches, medieval castles and ancient obelisks reflecting a culture dating back more than 3000 years.
Day 1 : Join Addis Ababa (2400m)
Day 2 : In Addis Ababa, city tour
Day 3 : Fly to Bahir Dar (1830m), visit Lake Tana monastery and Blue Nile Falls
Day 4 : Drive to Gondar (2120m)
Day 5 : Drive to Debark, commence trek to Sankabar camp (3200m)
Day 6 : Trek to Geech camp (3640m, approx. 6-8 hr, 13 km; ascent 928m/descent 429m)
Day 7 : Optional summit of Imet Gogo (3926m, approx. 5-7 hr, 10 km)
Day 8 : To Chenek (3620m, approx. 6-7 hr, 14.5 km; ascent 849m/descent 824m)
Day 9 : To Ambiko (3170m, approx. 8-10 hr, 20 km; ascent 969m/descent 1466m)
Day 10 : Summit Ras Dashen (4533m, 10-12 hr, 26 km, ascent 1355m/descent 1355m)
Day 11 : To Sona (3400m, approx 8-10 hr, 23 km; ascent 1136m/descent 1158m)
Day 12 : To Makarabia (2000m, approx 5-6 hr, 12 km; ascent 326m/descent 1800m)
Day 13 : To Mulit (1800m, approx 6-7 hr, 19km; ascent 690m/descent 592m)
Day 14 : Complete trek (approx 2-3 hr, 10km; ascent 78m/descent 485m), drive to Axum
Day 15 : In Axum
Day 16 : Fly to Lalibela in the morning or early afternoon, afternoon visit monolithic churches
Day 17 : Fly to Addis Ababa where trip concludes
- 1 night in 3 star hotel in Addis and 6 nights in best available hotels elsewhere on a twinshare basis
- 16 breakfasts, 15 lunches and 16 dinners
- Private road transport
- Local guides for each section
- Western escort to assist local guides
- 9 nights fully supported camping on a twinshare tent basis
- Group camping equipment including tent, mattress and pillow (sleeping bag not included)
- Cook, camp assistants, mules and muleteers on trek
- Boat trip on Lake Tana
- Site entrance and national park fees
- International flights
- Arrival and departure transfers in Addis Ababa (days 1 & 17).
- NOTE - The Addis Ababa group hotel (Jupiter Hotel) offers a free airport to hotel shuttle service upon arrival or departure. This shuttle must be pre-booked prior to your arrival or departure – please refer to your reservations consultant for more details.
- Internal flights (Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar, Axum to Lalibela, Lalibela to Addis Ababa)
- Bottled water, aerated and alcoholic drinks (drinking water provided during trek only)
- Kit bag and sleeping bag
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 183 today.
- Save US$ 122+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ethiopia Simien Mountains and Beyond tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Ethiopia Simien Mountains and Beyond tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ethiopia Simien Mountains and Beyond tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
Twin Share room may not always be available for solo travelers, as it depends on each individual tour departure. If Twin Share room is not available for the departure you have booked, we will let you know.