- Festivals and events
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 13 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Rock hewn churches of Tigrai and Lalibela
- Castles of Gondar
- Spectacular scenery in the Simien Mountains
- Stelae of Axum
In the northeast of Ethiopia is the little visited region of Tigrai. Over the centuries a series of churches of differing sizes and architectural styles were carved into cliff-faces and rocky-outcrops, many still in use today. Whilst following Ethiopia’s classic northern circuit through Lake Tana’s monasteries, Gondar’s castles, the Simien Mountains and Lalibela’s monolithic churches, we get off the beaten path and explore this beautiful region in the heart of Ethiopian history.
Day 1: Start Addis Ababa; city tour.
Day 2: Fly to Bahar Dar; free afternoon with option of Blue Nile Falls visit.
Day 3: Discover Lake Tana's famous monestaries.
Day 4: Drive to Gondar; visit the castles, Fasilides' bathhouse and the church's
Day 5: Drive to Simien Mountains; afternoon hike along the plateau.
Day 6: Continue to Axum.
Day 7: Full day visiting the ancient capital of the Axumite Kingdom.
Day 8: Visit Yeha Temple and through eatern Tigrai to Wukro.
Day 9: Visit Wukro's rock-hewn churches and on to Mekele.
Day 10: Drive through mountains and gorges on the way to Lalibela.
Day 11: Explore Lalibela amazing churches.
Day 12: Mule trek up to Ashatan Maryam.
Day 13: Fly to Addis Ababa. End.
- 10 nights comfortable hotels, 2 nights basic hotel, most with en suite facilities , All accommodation
- All breakfasts
- Two internal flights
- All transport and listed activities
- (if booking incl. flights)
- Travel by mini or coaster bus
- Off the beaten path in the Tigrai region
- Tour leader throughout
- Any international flights to/from Addis Ababa are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Ethiopia in Depth tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 139+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ethiopia in Depth tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 12 August 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 12 August 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Ethiopia in Depth tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ethiopia in Depth tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.