- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 13 days
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- Rock hewn churches of Tigrai and Lalibela
- Castles of Gondar
- Spectacular scenery in the Simien Mountains
- Stelae of Axum
In the northeast of Ethiopia is the little visited region of Tigrai. Over the centuries a series of churches of differing sizes and architectural styles were carved into cliff-faces and rocky-outcrops, many still in use today. Whilst following Ethiopia’s classic northern circuit through Lake Tana’s monasteries, Gondar’s castles, the Simien Mountains and Lalibela’s monolithic churches, we get off the beaten path and explore this beautiful region in the heart of Ethiopian history.
Day 1: Start Addis Ababa; city tour.
Day 2: Fly to Bahar Dar; free afternoon with option of Blue Nile Falls visit.
Day 3: Discover Lake Tana's famous monestaries.
Day 4: Drive to Gondar; visit the castles, Fasilides' bathhouse and the church's
Day 5: Drive to Simien Mountains; afternoon hike along the plateau.
Day 6: Continue to Axum.
Day 7: Full day visiting the ancient capital of the Axumite Kingdom.
Day 8: Visit Yeha Temple and through eatern Tigrai to Wukro.
Day 9: Visit Wukro's rock-hewn churches and on to Mekele.
Day 10: Drive through mountains and gorges on the way to Lalibela.
Day 11: Explore Lalibela amazing churches.
Day 12: Mule trek up to Ashatan Maryam.
Day 13: Fly to Addis Ababa. End.
- 10 nights comfortable hotels, 2 nights basic hotel, most with en suite facilities , All accommodation
- All breakfasts
- Two internal flights
- All transport and listed activities
- Travel by mini or coaster bus
- Off the beaten path in the Tigrai region
- Tour leader throughout
- Any international flights to/from Addis Ababa are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Ethiopia in Depth tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Bookmundi is partner with Exodus Travels. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Save +US$ 129 in Travel Credits on your next booking.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit of 300 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 0 days before departure. For any departures within 10 December 2019 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Ethiopia in Depth tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ethiopia in Depth tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.