- duration 21 days
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Guided tour of the fascinating ancient royal city of Gondar, Ethiopia
- 3 nights in the fabulously scenic Simien Mountains NP
- Spot geladas, ibex, Ethiopian wolves and many other endemic species
- Guided tour of palaces and temples in historic Axum
One of our most popular trips in Africa, this tour explores the seldom-visited Ethiopia. This journey has all the best of the country's highlands and the north; the main highlights of the trip being the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, trekking in the Simien Mountains and an expedition into the wilds of the north to explore the Danakil Depression.
We also visit Lake Tana, the source of the Blue Nile, and the Blue Nile Falls where the great river cascades down into a massive gorge. Nestling on the bank of Lake Tana is the picturesque city of Bahir Dar, one the three great Ethiopian settlements we visit; the others are Addis Ababa and the historic city of Gondar, with its ancient castles and churches.
Day 1: Addis Ababa
Day 2: Debre Markos
Day 3: Bahir Dar
Day 4: Bahir Dar
Day 5: Bahir Dar
Day 6: Awra Amba
Day 7: Lalibela
Day 8: Lalibela
Day 9: Lalibela
Day 10: Mekele
Day 11: Danakil Depression
Day 12: Mekele
Day 13: Axum
Day 14: Axum
Day 15: Debark
Day 16: Simien Mountains NP
Day 17: Simien Mountains NP
Day 18: Simien Mountains NP
Day 19: Gondar
Day 20: Gondar
Day 21: Gondar
- Overland Expedition Vehicle, Boat
- Two Dragoman Crew Members, Local Guides where necessary
- 19 Breakfasts
- 4 Lunches
- 4 Dinner
- Any international flights to Addis Ababa and from Gondar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Ethiopia, Historic Route & Danakil Depression tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 78+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ethiopia, Historic Route & Danakil Depression tour. You can cancel the tour up to 61 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 60 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 60 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Ethiopia, Historic Route & Danakil Depression tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ethiopia, Historic Route & Danakil Depression tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Local Payment The local payment is a group fund, paid separately from the trip price on the first day of the tour. It covers everything that the group does together on the ground. This is primarily hotel accommodation and campsite fees, meals whilst camping (but not while eating in restaurants), and included activities and puts money directly back to the local community. The local payment, or kitty system, is unique to overlanding tours and provides maximum flexibility and best value on the road - you can see exactly what is being paid for, you get everything at cost price, it keeps costs competitive by leveraging group expenses and saves on administrative costs. The fund is run by the tour guide, and any excess left over at the end is returned equally to the group. Local prices are estimated in USD when we print the brochure then reviewed monthly as local costs and exchange rates vary throughout the year. It's therefore important once you book your trip to check the website regularly and just before departure for any changes to the amount.