- Walking tour
- duration 11 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 15
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Marvel at the monolithic churches of Lalibela
- Discover the medieval castles in the old capital of Gondar
- Day walk in the Simien Mountains
- Cruise to the tranquil island monasteries of Lake Tana and Blue Nile Falls
Explore Ethiopia's unique cultural heritage and spectacular mountain scenery. Ethiopia is an African enigma, combining a rich history, mosaic of cultures and incredible geographic diversity. The highlands strong Orthodox Christian heritage has been formidably maintained over the millennia, alone amongst Islam and tribal cultures in surrounding Africa. From the colourful chaotic sprawl of the capital Addis Ababa and medieval castles of Gondar to the tranquil island monasteries of Lake Tana, it is indeed a land of contrasts. This itinerary includes walking in the Simien Mountains for a look at highland life as well as time to take in the greatest of the ancient churches and monasteries home to art and religious icons, including the amazing 12th-century rock-hewn churches of Lalibela and ancient obelisks of Axum. The tremendous ethnic diversity and resplendent cultures of Ethiopia are evident as we explore the only country in Africa to have escaped colonialism.
Day 1 : Join Addis Ababa
Day 2 : In Addis Ababa, city tour
Day 3 : Fly to Lalibela
Day 4 : In Lalibela
Day 5 : Fly to Axum, visit churches
Day 6 : Drive to small town of Debark (250km, approx 5hrs)
Day 7 : Day walk in Simien Mountains, drive to Gondar in the late afternoon (145km, approx 3hrs)
Day 8 : Gondar sightseeing
Day 9 : Drive to Bahir Dar, afternoon city tour (175km, approx 4hrs)
Day 10 : Lake Tana boat trip and Blue Nile Falls
Day 11 : Fly to Addis Ababa, trip concludes on arrival
- 2 nights in 3 star hotel in Addis and 8 nights in best available hotels elsewhere on a twinshare basis
- 10 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 8 dinners
- Airport transfer Day 1 only
- Private road transport
- Local guides at each location (English speaking tour leader throughout for 6 or more guests)
- Boat trip on Lake Tana
- Site entrance and national park fees per itinerary
- international flights
- internal flights Addis Ababa/ Lalibela/Axum and Bahir Dar/Addis Ababa. *we recommend booking these flights with World Expeditions as it is easier to manage any schedule changes locally
- arrival and departure transfers in Addis Ababa (other than airport transfer on Day 1 only).
- NOTE - The Addis Ababa group hotel (Jupiter Hotel) offers a free airport to hotel shuttle service upon arrival or departure. This shuttle must be pre-booked prior to your arrival or departure – please refer to your reservations consultant for more details.
- bottled water, aerated and alcoholic drinks
- items of a personal nature such as phone calls, internet, laundry, etc.
- travel insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 86+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ethiopia Explorer tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 23 August 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 23 August 2021, a deposit of 353 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Ethiopia Explorer tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ethiopia Explorer tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.